ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!

Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

Outside The Comfort Zone

As we get older, it becomes more difficult to try new things, go new places, and leave that which we know for the great ‘unknown’. In this world we live in the now, where people change careers every 5 years, the idea of a Comfort Zone is being replaced as fast as we replace our computers and cell phones.

With all this new technology comes life at the speed of light – information appears faster. Communication via multi-media pushes us to reach farther, think broader, and stretch our boundaries.

My first baby steps into multi-media brought me stumbling into YouTube and a band called Tokio Hotel. From there, I hopped to pictures, blogs, TokioHotelAmerica.com, and CherrytreeRecords.com.

Websites these days must be very ‘busy’ to get the attention of the fickle music fan. On the Cherrytree site, there is chat, radio, interviews, videos, forums, fan art, etc. Everything you need to hear new music or find out more about your favorite Cherrytree artist (including Tokio Hotel!).

On July 23, Cherrytree Records held a launch party for the All Hearts Tour starring Robyn and Far East Movement, with Kelis and Dan Black. The headliners were all at the El Adobe in Los Angeles for the party, and performed for an intimate crowd of very happy fans! My daughter (Eileen) and I RSVP.’d and were on the list. We were so excited neither of us slept very well the day before!

We live about 2 hours from L.A., and it was a Friday. Californians know to leave PLENTY of time to get places. We ended up arriving early, and were one of the first 30 people or so into the event. Free margaritas (Cherry!) and food, with a yummy cherry topped cake as well.

And the best part of arriving early? They had swag bags, 2 to choose from, and one of the choices was a Tokio Hotel bag! I was already on cloud 9 before walking in the door!



When we walked inside there was a cute-as-a-button young lady waiting by a table with loads of free stickers and posters (Yes! More Tokio Hotel!). I received one of each, including these cool Lady Gaga chibi stickers. O.K., before I even meet one artist, I am floored. I snagged an I Heart Robyn sticker, hoping to get it to Michelle with a Robyn signature.

Eileen and I grab a couple of chairs that were left in the back (she has a couple of health issues and couldn’t stand for very long that day). Eileen gets something to eat, but I was way too happy to eat. Hey, maybe there’s a new diet program in this?!

And then? The parade of stars and fun begins! Collette Carr is there just being her usual bubbly self. And Far East Movement is already there and looking very….um….young and hip?

Eileen posed for a picture with the guys from Far East Movement.



Martin, Andrea, Dean, Natalia Kills, all mingling with the fans! I’m not even sure who performed first, but of course they were playing all music from Cherrytree artists. This included my favorite guys from Germany, Tokio Hotel.


<--Eileen and I with Martin  

I recall a moving song from Kelis. And then Far East Movement was up, with Collette as well! I was surprised by how much I liked them! I had never heard them before, but that was why I came, to really experience different music. These young people are so fearless and so passionate about their music. It was truly inspiring.

From there we hear some more from the DJ, with more Tokio Hotel! I remember constantly tweeting about how great it was to hear Tokio Hotel being played. At a party. In L.A.!

We heard from a few more artists that I had never heard before, and I was pleasantly surprised that I LOVED all the music. But the best was yet to come.

Robyn. What can I say to describe this woman live? She was incredible, she had people reaching for tissues. She’s a little blonde dynamo brimming with soul and a clear, honest voice. I can completely understand Michelle’s love of this artist now. Sooooo……what do you think, my friend? Are we planning another road trip to see Robyn together?

By the time Robyn came on (she was last – the best for last!) Eileen was not feeling so great, so I went up on my own (yikes!) to ask for Robyn’s autograph. A couple of people behind me in line were talking about how great it was to meet her, and then I heard them say, ‘I think we are the oldest people here!’. O_o Well, I turned around and smiled at them, and they got a great laugh out of it.

I got up to Robyn, and asked her to sign the sticker for Michelle. She asked for my name and I asked if she wouldn’t mind making it out to my very dear friend who was a very devoted fan. She asked me how to spell Michelle’s name, signed the sticker and took a picture with me! What a sweet woman!

By the time Robyn left, everyone had to leave for the concert, and we were leaving to go see a viewing of Tokio Hotel’s live DVD of their Humanoid City Tour.


I was able to meet Dean from Cherrytree and talk with him for a bit, and I met another wonderful friend from TokioHotelAmerica.

Eileen with Dean. --->


After one final pic with Space Cowboy and his wild shoes (neon pink!), we collect our car and head out. An event to remember! An experience outsize the ‘Comfort Zone’!


4 comments:

  1. OMG, it looks like so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so fantastically wonderful and huggable. You're are looking good, my friend, not that you weren't before. And Robyn...what can I say - you are so thoughtful and awesome. Can't wait to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story to read and cool pics!

    PS:I see you Dean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to miss Dean and his super-happy smile!

    ReplyDelete