ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!

Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Happy 21st Birthday, Tom and Bill Kaulitz


Happy Birthday, Tom and Bill Kaulitz!

There are certain milestone birthdays that inspire major celebration. Turning 21 years old is up there on the list for major fanfare.  And why not? For most places, in the U.S., 21 years old is the legal age to be considered an adult.  The twins of Tokio Hotel have entered the new phase of life - welcome to adulthood, guys.

In tribute to this day, we have an interview from Martin Kierszenbaum, who is a key component in the Tokio Hotel phenonmenon around the world.  Martin is the is head of A&R at Interscope Records and president of Interscope’s subsidiary Cherrytree Records. He was gracious with his time to answer a few of our burning questions.

NTO: I (Michelle) have a daughter who wants to be a film director. Advice given to her is not to major in film directing, instead take a curriculum that is broad and well-rounded. So applying this advice to the music industry, what would you tell a college bound teen who wants to be on the management side of the music industry?


Tricia, Eileen-her daughter, Martin
MARTIN: I believe you need both to pursue a career in your field of choice: a general, well-rounded education to develop things like writing skills, organizational abilities, finishing an assignment, working in teams, navigating an administrative system, mastering general math and gaining a basic understanding of arts and sciences. In addition, you need to study and develop your knowledge of your particular field so you can function effectively and achieve within its discipline. The latter can usually be done on-the-field while the former acts as a base. However, I’ve found that it’s best to try and develop a measure of both simultaneously by getting on-the-field experience (through a job, internship and/or independent research, for instance) while pursuing your studies at the same time, if possible.

NTO: How would you describe the landscape of the music or music recording industry? Are you a "glass is half full", "glass is half empty", or "stop your whining" type of person?

MARTIN: Ever since I entered the recording industry, I’ve been hearing “well, kid, you missed the heyday of the music business.” And yet, I’ve managed to make a career in it and work in what I love. I’m grateful I’ve been able to work with artists, producers and executives who have had long careers and they’ve taught me that if you work hard and do good work, there will be a demand for it. My father instilled this in me by example from an early age too. I believe music is beautiful. It inspires and nourishes the human soul. There will always be a place for music. The means of making and distributing it may evolve but music is an essential. I love music and I’m committed to protecting it and the artists that make it. I’m also excited by the ability to communicate directly with the audience and learn more about how they want to absorb music.

Swedish pop star - Robyn
NTO: CT is the only record company that we've registered with and follow online. The online presence has helped create the brand loyalty and introduced us to other singers like Robyn, Lady Gaga, and La Roux. Who is the worker bee behind the online strategy? (By the way, love the acoustic sessions on the website!)

MARTIN: Thank you. It’s an honor to hear this from you. Cherrytree functions under a philosophy that information should flow both ways: from our artists and us to our audience and from our audience to our artists and us. The more direct the communication, the deeper the relationship and the more satisfying it is for both. The team here at Cherrytree -a wonderful group of individuals with whom I have the pleasure to work every day - is very interested in receiving information from our audience about what music they want to hear and how they want to hear it. We treasure that relationship and work hard to provide exclusive entertainment and information back to our audience. Our artists’ creativity drive the content. I’m also very involved in the content creation, as is the whole team. The editorial is created and shaped by our personal “pop alternative” taste and I think you can feel that through CherrytreeRecords.com and CherrytreeRadio.com. There’s no way to concoct that feeling. It entails sleeping very little and working really hard to think of entertaining ideas, initiatives, contests, “’treeflips,” web episodes, videos, etc. But it’s what we love doing. We want to make CherrytreeRecords.com a robust entertainment and cultural experience.

NTO: Unfortunately, Michelle missed the wonderful meet up you held recently at the El Adobe. I (Tricia) attended and captured the experience on the blog. Will there be others, whether in L.A. or elsewhere? (Since Michelle’s an east coaster)

MARTIN: I hope so. I thought Cherrytree El Adobe was loads of fun and I’m thankful to our artists and our Rec’ers – our CherrytreeRecords.com community – for turning up and helping to create what was an extraordinarily special event.

NTO: What prompted you to step up and be founder of a record label? We'd love to have a bio to show your journey. It's one thing to think of something that huge, but to take the steps to do it and then have several years of success under your belt is a massive accomplishment. Kudos!

MARTIN: Well, thank you. I started as a musician and songwriter. My sister is a musician too. She and I grew up practicing, taking lessons and playing in ensembles. Writing songs and making music is when I still feel the happiest other than hanging out with my family and friends. As I was coming up, I realized that I also had a knack for interfacing with people on the music business side and on behalf of my fellow musicians (band members, writers etc.). I began to hone that ability at the same time I developed my music making skills. That led me to getting a job at a record company. That’s where I felt I could best apply both sets of skills. All of the most renown record companies were founded and run by creative individual: e.g., Barry Gordy, Herb Alpert, etc. I think that might be one of the reasons some of the best music was made around the time those individuals ran labels. Because they fostered an environment that encouraged artists to feel safe, free and push the creative envelope. I aspire to that every day even if I know I can’t come close to filling those gentlemen’s shoes.

NTO: Pardon our ignorance of the inner workings of the business. Would I, a singer or band, approach you with a CD and a letter asking you to listen to my work? Or do I have to come represented by a manager or some other professional? What is the typical way to get signed to CT?

MARTIN: Yes, you could. I’ve found that the best way to discover talented individuals is to just keep my antennae on and honed. A new artists can come from anywhere. That’s why I travel a lot and spend a lot of time researching and staying in communication with colleagues. We also check out submissions via our web site.

NTO: Our goal is to increase the band's exposure to the 25 year olds and up. We're not shy to say that we're in the 40+ group. Realizing that our demographics may not be online as much as a younger group or not be willing to register onto a fan forum, we started the blog (http://nto4tokiohotel.blogspot.com) as an easy introduction to us and the group.

MARTIN: Thank you for this support.

NTO: How did the first introduction to TH occur?

MARTIN: I caught a glimpse of their Scream video – German version – online and flipped my lid. I contacted them right away – via our friends at Universal Germany - and, luckily, convinced the group to sign to Cherrytree Records for the USA.

NTO: Were they the youngest artists you've ever worked with? Outside of general teen angst (bless you on that), are there any challenges to working with young artists?

MARTIN: I think t.A.T.u. were 16 and 17 when I signed them and I think TH must have been about the same age when I started working with them. We are very protective of our artists and their vision in general so, in that regard, their age doesn’t make a difference. The members of TH are very smart and make decisions in a very astute and measured way with the help of their management team. It’s a pleasure to work with them.

NTO: When you consider the breadth of their career (with more to come I'm sure), can you share how you feel about TH’s current and future success?

MARTIN: Tokio Hotel are really talented and true originals. As with all true originals – and these are rare – they will evolve, change and keep us interested and entertained. That bodes well for a long career and we’re pleased to have a chance to play a part in that.

NTO: Please feel free to share anything else that you'd deem appropriate for the blog.

MARTIN: I’d like to take this opportunity to thank you for your interest in - and support of - Tokio Hotel, Cherrytree Records, our artist roster, CherrytreeRecords.com and CherrytreeRadio.com. Thanks too for inviting me to do this interview.

NTO: Thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment