ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!

Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Wearing Different Hats & Loving It

As Michelle Monkou, I wear different hats: Wife, mom, writer, TH fan girl, and whatever else is out there that strikes my fancy. For one year, I am wearing the hat of president of Romance Writers of America (RWA). I've been a member for over 10 years, authored over 15 books, and accumulated a vast wealth of information and friends. Here's a sneak peak into this world.

I never thought that I would be a writer, as a professional career choice. I wrote my stories through high school. Wrote my literary criticisms during college. Then came back to writing stories when I landed my first job and my co-worker also happened to be an avid romance reader and strived to be an author.  We joined Washington Romance Writers (WRW) in the DC area and that hobby turned into a passion, which turned into my career goal.  Happily after all these years, I am now writing fulltime.

Through a variety of circumstances, I decided to run for the Region 1 Board of Directors. I won and joined 16 women at the Board table of RWA. The experience has been uplifting, challenging, rewarding and memorable.  Now that I'm coming to the end of my term as president, I look forward to refocusing my time on my writing career.

Recently, we celebrated the organization's 30th anniversary at the Annual Conference in Orlando.  Over 2,100 attendees descended onto Disney's property. We were thankful for this location since we had to change venue from Nashville due to their flooding catastrophe a few months ago.

The conference keynote speaker was Nora Roberts and the luncheon speaker was Jayne Anne Krentz.  No one could possibly leave the conference without being inspired by these women's advice and shared experiences in the "trenches" of the business.

Tons of workshop offerings were available for the unpublished to the published and for the newbie to the veteran. Local and national media arrived to interview attendees and the stars of the romance industry.  Other industry professionals, such as publisher executives, editors, agents, librarians and booksellers joined in the celebration.

I'm proud of this organization. I'm proud that I have contributed to its legacy and continued growth.

Now back to writing.  Back to being a Tokio Hotel fan girl LOL

5 comments:

  1. What an inspiring person you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Schnee, thank you for your kind words. The feeling is definitely mutual. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. After traveling and working with you, Michelle, I am not surprised by how much you have accomplished! You are an amazing role model!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really impressed, Michelle! I knew you wrote romances, but not all the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go with your bad self Michele.

    ReplyDelete