ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!

Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Strong Female Musical Artists of Cherrytree/Interscope, Part 4

Robyn

If I had to retrace my steps to Robyn, it would start when I discovered Cherrytree Records. My discovery of this innovative label happened when I'd researched all things Tokio Hotel-related. If you haven't been to Cherrytreerecords.com, then run don't walk to the site and check out the line up of their artists.

One day, a posted interview and acoustic session by Robyn, not only caught my attention, but also blew my mind. I loved her attitude.  And when she sang, I not only heard the words, but felt the raw emotion. I was hooked. I spent the next few hours learning about Robin Miriam Carlsson, better known by her stage name Robyn.

The 31 year old, Swedish recording artist and singer-songwriter, has traveled an interesting and challenging path to success. Some people may have bowed under the strain, but she grew stronger and more determined to create her own path.

Robyn debuted in 1997 with her album Robyn Is Here, although she had written and performed songs as young as 12 years old. She's no slacker!

I believe that people connect for a reason and when the time is right. Robyn brought her gifts of music, singing, and intelligence at a time when I sought artists who had toughness beneath the exterior image. I wanted maturity and someone who could sing about similar experiences as a woman.

By the time I discovered my new She-ro, Robyn had parted ways with her label and created Konichiwa Records to give her the artistic freedom that she craved. How can you keep this powerfully talented woman in a box? Her lyrics are poignant, yet searing, catchy, yet empowering. You certainly don't dismiss or set her songs aside.  For example:

Her strength and focus in Curriculum Vitae (intro)
The queen of queen bees/ Lioness of Juda/Phoenix from the ashes risen/ Undefeated undisputed featherweight champion/ on all five continents/ World record holder with a high score of two gazillion in Tetris/ Two-time recipient of the Nobel prize for super foxiest female ever

Or her inner strength in With Every Heartbeat
We could keep trying/ but things will never change/ So I don't look back/ Still I'm dying with every step I take/ But I don't look back/ And it hurts with every heartbeat...

Fast forward to 2010, Robyn steps up to the stage with a three-part release of Body Talk series albums for the year. Body Talk, Pt. 1 was released in June, Pt. 2 is expected in September, and Pt. 3 in December, with one single being released per album.

Check out this supernova and walk into the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment