ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!

Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Oil Spill - Alpacas To The Rescue!

The twins -- Bill and Tom Kaulitz -- from Tokio Hotel are known for their humane attitude toward animals. They are also vegetarians like two of our NTO group members. However, we are all concerned about the humane and ethical treatment of animals.

Here's Patricia to talk about the horrendous oil spill and unique clean up efforts for the Gulf coast.

While many point fingers at others, trying to place the blame, others are working towards a solution. The spill in the Gulf of Mexico is an environmental disaster that will take many years of recovery. To aid in the clean-up, alpaca owners across the nation are donating their valuable crop of fleece from this year’s clip. The AFCNA (Alpaca Fiber Cooperative of North America) has organized a drive to get the fleece down to the spill and made into booms to absorb the oil.

Here’s how the booms work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj_mna5lckg

I own just 6 alpacas, but from their fleece I can have a couple of hundred skeins of yarn made. This yarn is so soft and light because of the hollow hair of an alpaca’s fleece. The special quality of this fleece is what makes it ideal for absorbing oil. Politicians and bureaucrats are still trying to find a solution. Yet some of the people who can least afford to give up their profits are doing just that by releasing their crop for the clean-up efforts.

Please view the video and get involved in whatever way you can to assist with the clean up efforts. This is too monumental to feel that it's not YOUR problem to solve.

6 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I saw this on NBC Nightly News.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Liz. This is a great, creative way to assist with the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been at the top of every alpaca owner's to-do list since it is shearing season for most of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy that alpaca owners are doing this. I am a really big activist when it comes to animals. It breaks my heart to see how many sea creatures and birds that depend on the Gulf. I think that this is truly amazing that it is being done since it looks like BP could care less as far as I am concerned they aren't doing enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had read about the Alpaca fleece being used this way....it certainly seems to me that your average, every-day Americans are coming up with better ideas to address this mess than BP is. I hope I am not offending any British fans, but BP needs to get THEIR act together...this oil spill is a disgrace. It kills me inside to not just see the devastation, but to think about the devastation we CAN'T see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn, you're not offending me (and I'm a Brit). You can't trust wikipedia, but if their safety record, along with accidents, are true - wowza http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BP

    Problem is that I don't think these are issues unique to BP. Just that they are the ones in the cross hairs at the moment.

    ReplyDelete